Our maple syrup season has come to a close. What a rush this season has been though! From start to finish this season has kept me busy fulfilling some responsibility or another. We had a busy Saturday April 12 boiling the last draw, then I made the decision Sunday April 13 to pull the taps. When we got out to the bush my decision was confirmed by what I viewed in the first couple of buckets; just enough sap to cover the bottom of the bucket, not enough to justify another boil though. Moreover, my decision to pull the taps Sunday instead of Monday was further validated by the steady downpour of rain Monday brought. So I finished my final batch Monday, then tallied up our syrup production for this year. Our total yield for 2014 is a whopping 70 Litres of syrup!
Now I have 150 each of buckets, spiles and lids to wash; the evaporator to scrub out; the finishing unit to scrub out; bottling equipment to clean; the collecting tank, the boiling instruments, the filters, the holding tank; all of this equipment needs to be cleaned before storing them for next year.
This year was a whirl-wind adventure and, while the learning curve was steep I’ve gleaned several important points for next season, including that if I try and drive across the field when it’s muddy after the thaw I will get stuck and need my neighbor to help push me out. I’m excited for next year. I have my eye set on a workshop or two in the coming months, that teach about maple syrup production to hobbyists, and forest management. For now though, I’m content with finishing cleaning up and catching up on some well-needed rest.